Sunday, July 13, 2014

7/10 Merd 2.0

July 10

This morning was our last birding trip and we went with our fav, Roldan! It didn't top yesterday's pink dolphin sightings, but we did stop at a local market in a village called Indiana.  It was really cool to seems different village - this one was much more modern - electricity, motorized scooters, television, and the home of the Amazon Britney Spears! Every day, the community starts with this market for breakfast and to stick up on food for the day.  I loved it!

After birding, we packed our bags and headed to the Ceiba Tree for group pics! Everyone was so relaxed and having a great time! There's a roomie pic with Lilly, the six Amazon BFFs and a whole group shot.  I made some great friends in the jungle who I know will be lifelong amigas! I'll write a separate post later about all of the people I've met in the forest and how special each and every one is to me! (#joan) 👯 haha!



Our last visit before the airport was to Monkey Island.  It's a conservation area to house and care for baby monkeys who are confiscated from people trying to keep them as pets or take them out of the country. As soon as they are old enough, they are released back into the wild.  In Peru, it is illegal to hunt many if the animals, including monkeys, but there is little regulation.  It truly is survival of the fittest out here and hunting means something entirely different than it does in the states.  If I lived in Peru, I would definitely work/sponsor/set up a program in wildlife conservation. 🙈🐍🐸 The rainforest is beautiful and everyone should have the chance to experience it.


Amazon Reflection -
The last 10 days have been life changing.  I read back over my blogs and my themes of gratitude and wanting to help are loud and clear.  Since dropping into the jungle, I've had that warm, fuzzy, feel good, full heart feeling! I've interacted with cultures I've only dreamt about, had experiences only a handful of people will ever experience and seen wildlife up close and personal! It has made me reflect on and appreciate my own life in ways I never expected.  This past year, I've bee searching very hard and diligently for something that I ought would make me happy. Even though I have some hilarious stories (that's another blog that will be a rom com in the near future) and companionship is definitely something I want,  that is not going to fill my bucket or my whole heart.
I have 3 main ideas for my life now. First, I want to live more simply. Lately (especially), I have been consumed by the "stuff" in my life. After seeing people live happy with so much less, and me actually living with so much less myself, I know I can do better. Even though it will be hard to do, it's time to pack up the lean cuisines and Kate Spade and break out the bananas back of the closet clothing. Second, I want to travel the world.  After surviving the jungle, I want to see more places I never thought I would, Africa, India, China... (Of course in an educational, organized setting.) And, there may be an Africa opportunity already next summer! I am almost 32 and feel like I still have so much to see - the world is my oyster. The third idea is to make an impact globally.  It's not enough for me to just help the MP community - I'm inspired to help the worId! I want my students to have this same full heart feeling I have now and will seek out more and more experiences that we all can do together.
Lining up with my second main idea is the plane ride to Machu Picchu! (And one night I'll be living simply away from my new luggage.) As I sat on the plane to Cusco, I was sad to leave my new friends not going on, but more excited than ever for my future! My heart is so full it's bursting.💗💚💗  The last 10 days, I've lived out loud and never want to lose this feeling. I'm leaving the Amazon a new person with an anaconda "tattoo," a pic album full of braid days and enough experiences to last a lifetime!
Next stop - Machu Picchu, stay tuned for more great pics and dear diary moments!


No comments:

Post a Comment