Monday, July 7, 2014

7/2 - My first night in the rainforest!


My first night in the rainforest started out very eventful. Even though there's wifi (sometimes) the bathroom is literally a box that covers a hole in the ground. Around 9pm, I went to use the bathroom. I kicked the box before sitting down and a bat flew out!!! I lost my mind and ran out, telling everyone I saw.  Not only did I not get to use the bathroom, but I gave away my true city girl image in one hot second! Bats have officially become the most disgusting animals of all time!
After I left the bat cave, there was an optional night hike. Since I couldn't sleep...ever...I figured, why not go? Only 6 of us went, and it really was a great experience.  Randy, one of the professors, lead the hike.  His focus is bugs - and he really does love them! It's so great to see someone excited about his subject and want to share it with the world.  We took a very slow walk around the lodges on a trail and saw amazing bugs, spiders, frogs, glowing fungus and a moth larvae that was beautiful! One teacher in particular, Phil, stood out. He's from Oregon, and is the definition of a stereotypical science teacher - nerdy, funny and crazy about anything science! He told us about a project he's working on to get funding to remove invasive plant species from the woods around his school.  It's so inspiring to see teachers so excited to continue to start projects and do things just for the students. It makes me wNt to continue to be that teacher - so many projects for the fall in mind already!
While hiking, Randy had us stand completely still with no lights on for 3 minutes, imagining we are an animal alone in the dark rainforest.  Now, I did not imagine I'm an animal - because that's completely terrifying, but I did participate and listen to the sounds of the jungle. It was a unique experience and a little reminder of how awesome this place really is.
After the hike, I spent my first night in the rainforest.  We have mosquito netting around our beds, but the lodge is open to the outside. There were so many weird sounds, and it was scary, but calming at the same time.  Sleeping under the stars in the Amazon Rainforest is an unbelievable feeling, and I'll never forget my first night in the jungle.
Up next - day 3 - full of birds, teacher planning experiences, a night boat trip and more inspiring moments!



No comments:

Post a Comment