Sunday, July 13, 2014

7/9 - The best guides in the Amazon! 🙊

July 9


We started today with the best "birding" experience ever! Instead of birds, our guide Roldan showed us...drum roll please...pink dolphins!!! They were amazing - and I'll never forget watching pink dolphins jump around me in the Amazon River! Oh, and we saw one bird, so we could tell the leaders we actually went birding.

In the AM, we walked to the Yagua village and traded for crafts. First, we watched them perform traditional dancing and listened to their native language. Courtesy of my BFF Lauren and her unwanted jewelry, I cleaned up on the goods! (Thanks!) It was fun - and some if those Yagua are tough business peeps!





In the afternoon, we traveled to our last lodge, Ceiba Tops.  This really is the Ritz! Hot water, air conditioning, a pool, mosquito spraying - never felt so good! We spent the afternoon at the pool and had a very nice dinner with music and dancing. DJ Raul mixed the beats as we watched the Amazon Britney Spears dance with her anaconda!


We presented our leader, Christa and our guides (Lucio, Raul and Roldan) with gifts tonight.  They have been amazing this whole trip and made it an unbelievable experience.  Their stories, emotions, care, kind words and full hearts meant more than words could say. They came with us everywhere and ensured our safety in every situation. That means a lot when you're in a canoe on the Amazon River or night hiking potentially a few feet away from a Bushmaster! (I'm writing this a few days later and now more than ever appreciate them.) this whole time, I've been thinking of how much I am learning from them and grateful for their presence. When we presented them with gifts, they gave very meaningful speeches about how much they learned from us and how grateful they were that were came to their country to learn and help.  When you think of hiw much someone impacts you, you never think of ways you may be impacting them.  The small gifts we gave to them doesn't feel like enough to show my appreciation.  They sacrifice time from their families and stay up till all hours of the night answering our ridic questions.  Over the next weeks, I will think if something to send them to make their lives easier in the jungle. 🙊 At least I know I will see them again next summer with my own students.


Ad you've read, my life has changed greatly over the past 9 days. Tomorrow we fly to Lima and I will write more about my reflection of my time in the jungle! Up next - one last early morning "birding" with the group and a trip to monkey island! 🐧🐋🙊

No comments:

Post a Comment