Monday, July 7, 2014

I only got one life, I want it to mean something.

July 5


Today was, by far, the best day here yet! It started with "birding" where we saw dolphins, 3-toed sloths, a toucan and an iguana! I didn't get pics - just lived in the moment...and left my camera to charge. Our group is now nicknamed the wildlife boat - and we've pretty much given up on traditional birding.  Our guide, Raul, grew up very close by and gave us a history lesson of the villagers and dolphins - the people believe the dolphins will steal your children at night and if you kill one, it's bad luck for life. (I think the villagers visit the shaman's garden frequently!)  Because of this, they are not hunted. I love hearing the local stories, no matter how crazy they are - the guides have been invaluable to this experience. 
After birding, we set off on our one mile hike to the next lodge, ACTS.  This is a research facility and has access to the rainforest canopy. I hiked with Sarah (my future roomie in Picchu!) and some of the faculty leaders. The hike took awhile because they had great stories and were very patient with all of our questions. I learned so much, and one of the professors from ASU gave me some great field trip and project ideas. I'll definitely be hitting him up in the fall! It's nice to have someone from ASU here - a little piece if the desert in the rain.


When we got to ACTS, we met with a professor, Dr. Steve, who has spent 25 years researching the canopy and how it relates to climate change. (The canopy is the top layer of the rainforest and you can get to the very top through platforms and Indiana jones bridges - see awesome pics below!). Steve is very passionate about his research  - he loves his data. He gave us advice on how to inspire others - your job as a teacher is to give kids as many experiences as possible, until they find something that sticks. I often forget that a big part of my job is helping kids figure out who and what they're going to be - especially at the college level. It's a rejuvenating and inspiring quote.

Next came the experience of a lifetime! We hiked to the rainforest canopy and went to the top! There were 14 platforms and the highest one took us up 150 feet to the tree tops! The pictures do a much better job of explaining this amazing experience and how it's set up. I can honestly say this is one of the most awesome things I have ever done in my life...and...we get to go do it again tomorrow! At times, it scared the h out of me - but those were the moments where I realized, this is what life is all about. Walking on the canopy today made me feel like I could do anything - the sky is literally the limit. Every experience I've had this past year has made me a little bit stronger, a little bit clearer, and a little bit more me.


"I only got one life, I want it to mean something," Dallas Buyers Club. Today, I lived out loud. I did something and felt a way that I will remember for a long time, maybe forever. It's only Day 5 of 16, and I haven't even scratched the surface of what we're learning here. I can't wait for the next 11 days...the next 70 years!


No comments:

Post a Comment