Monday, July 7, 2014

July 6 - Hunting Bushmasters!

July 6

Today was just as awesome as the day before. We started with morning birding on the canopy. An advanced group went out at 530 and the ret of us at 6. We were in it for the view and saw 1 bird - a big, black one? My morning canal runs have nothing on walking this canopy. I can't wait to go up again tomorrow for the sunrise and maybe...the birds.

After birding, Dr. Steve from Widener Univ talked with us about using technology tools to take data in the forest. Btw, he has a thick Philly accent and reminds me if my family! (His daughter's name is Meredith, too!) We were given our own research assignments and took data on the canopy. #merdtherainforestresearcher. I felt like a real scientist - especially in all my gear! We discussed all of the possible probes and sensors you could use as a teacher and made me realize how important it is for me to have my students actually doing research in the outdoors.  Ms. Morrissey's Biology class will be hiking all over come August - get ready Ahwatukee!
In the afternoon, we were given time to explore the canopy. I went with Raul and Randy's group to hunt reptiles and amphibians. Btw - I keep saying "hunt" and getting funny looks...😳 we saw toads, ants, a yellow spider and (drum rolls please) a Poison Dart Frog! It was red on the back and blue on the belly! The only 2 animals I have left on the Amazon bucket list are: Anacondas and a Bushmaster! (I know my parents are thinking - please don't let her see those!) 10 more days, here's hoping.,🙏 it was really fun to spend the afternoon in a small group with Raul and Randy. They told us stories of the the rainforest, the organisms, and their experiences on the canopy. Raul is an expert explorer and his excitement is infectious. I want to be that person to my own students next summer and can't wait to start the process of selecting and training them to be #amazonianaventuristas like me!

I haven't yet brought up my roomie, Lilly, which is a huge oversight because I hit the jackpot! She is a PhD candidate in birds at Cornell University, and specializes in environmental education.  She is the sweetest person and very east to talk to.  She's been doing a lot of research on South America and is very patient with all of my questions.  At Cornell, she helped develop a Bird curriculum that I'm going to implement and am geeking out about.  I know we're going to be great friends for a long time and am grateful to have been paired with her. 

We are switching gears over the next 2 days and interacting a lot with the community.  You can expect very dramatic entries full of gratitude and sappy wording. (Sorry about that!)
Up next, early morning birding on the canopy one last time with my awesome roomie, Lilly!


No comments:

Post a Comment